Refine Search Clear All
Software Development Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Development Engineer in the Flight Test Group working with the LIDSS Team (LLNL Independent Diagnostic Scoring System). You will work in a multi-disciplinary team in support of cutting-edge technologies for flight tests. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Department (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop industry standard software packages in Python, C, and C++ within Linux, UNIX, and/or Windows environments.
- Develop firmware for the 3D sensing systems and sub-systems, implement real-time software packages for data processing, communication, and control, design, and standardize application interface protocols for the existing and future 3D sensing systems.
- Contribute to data analytics tools for 3D sensing, such as building visualization tools, database management, optimization of (and potentially contribution to) physics-based simulations in software, implementation of machine learning algorithms, etc.
- Be responsible for the continuous integration and automation of the software development for the group.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide real-time software development for computer vision in C++.
- Develop software for robotics operating system (ROS).
- Responsible for the architecture and continuous software integration and development (CI/CD) for a small team of engineers and scientists.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in the aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test, and deployment.
- Understanding of digital and analog electronic equipment.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience with Gitlab and/or Jenkins.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience delivering production quality software.
- Effective problem-solving skills to mitigate difficult problems and situations.
- Effective verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.