Refine Search Clear All
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: 842.1 Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Heavy Equipment Mechanic. You will perform journey-level duties to repair and maintain a wide variety of mechanical/electrical plant support equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatics, hydraulic systems, air ventilation equipment, emergency generators, power gates, construction equipment, e.g. loaders, backhoes, aerial lifts, mobile cranes, and compressors. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department and may require work at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
In this role, you will
- Be responsible for site-wide operation and maintenance of a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment using standard tools of heavy equipment mechanic trade.
- Repair and maintain air ventilation systems, power gates, hydraulics systems, stationary and portable generators, compressors, engines and construction equipment.
- Maintain good working knowledge of all plant and programmatic equipment in assigned work areas.
- Perform tasks in accordance with ES&H regulations and procedures, fulfills all integrated safety, security and property management responsibilities as appropriate.
- Use all standard tools of heavy equipment mechanic trade.
- Complete maintenance tasks and make decisions that involve techniques and procedures that are well defined.
- Prepare standard reports and complete forms, work orders, training and timekeeping utilizing a computer and mobile devices.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Completion of apprentice training program and/or equivalent journey-level work experience as a heavy equipment mechanic.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge and abilities in the heavy equipment mechanic trade including, knowledge of codes, laws and regulations including basic skills in the application of ES&H laws and regulations.
- Experience troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining loaders, backhoes, aerial lifts, mobile cranes, stationary and portable generators, and compressors.
- Experience with hydraulic and pneumatic systems and industrial ventilation (HVAC) maintenance and repair.
- Demonstrated effective customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills necessary to interact effectively with others.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively write reports and complete forms. Basic knowledge of computers and mobile devices for preparing reports, work orders and completing forms, training, and timekeeping.
- Ability to work scheduled as well as emergency overtime work and weekends, and travel to Site 300.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver’s License and a Commercial Driver’s License within a reasonable period of time.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with modern predictive and preventive maintenance techniques.
- Experience and knowledge of vibration analysis.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.