Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Threat Detection Systems - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/19/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to conduct research in nuclear nonproliferation, threat detection and analysis. You will participate in the development of new detection systems and algorithms, and also implementing these new technologies in actively deployed systems. The successful applicant will join a team of physicists, engineers and software developers working to prevent nuclear catastrophe. You will work with universities and other government agencies to develop, enhance, test, and deploy LLNL’s radiation detection, identification, and diagnostic measurement systems and analysis codes. This position is in the Nuclear Security Physics group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Participate in the development, design, modeling, implementation, fabrication, measurement, evaluation, and analysis of new instrumentation and algorithms for the detection, classification, identification, localization, tracking, and diagnosing of nuclear materials and objects of concern.
- Work with partners outside LLNL to deploy and test the next-generation radiation detection systems and algorithms.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in physics, astrophysics, nuclear engineering or related field.
- Experience with performing research and development in experimental science and/or algorithm development.
- Experience in developing software infrastructure for complex data analysis.
- Experience in the application of statistics, signal processing, and error propagation.
- Ability to perform independent research in experimental or theoretical science, and to find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.