Refine Search Clear All
Project Controls Specialist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: Q01.3 Project Controls Analyst 3 / Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Project Controls Specialist (PCS) to support the Nuclear Weapon Life Extension Programs (LEPs). You will utilize Project Management and Earned Value Management methodologies, and be responsible for the in-depth review, analysis, and reporting of project cost, schedule, and risk throughout the project lifecycle. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Coordinate with project team to define activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic, and interface between activities and resource loading activities.
- Implement advanced earned value management systems by independently reviewing and analyzing project schedules for proper sequence, logical relationships, critical path analysis, cost estimates and budgets, and establish credible cost and schedule baselines.
- Perform trend analysis and actively evaluate project performance providing clear results of cost and schedule variances and root cause analysis, including preparation of recovery or corrective action plans, identify potential risk areas, and validate forecasts.
- Prepare complex monthly project performance analysis, costs, schedule status reports, and any additional project documentation as required through all phases of project lifecycle.
- Implement change management practices and appropriately capture associated cost and schedule activities and prepare required supporting documentation.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and schedule tasks/cost/earned value presentations including: participating in project meetings, collecting progress data, coordinating the development of monthly forecast budgets, and revising project plans.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the Q01.4 level
- Responsible for integration of project activities across program milestones to maintain project critical path.
- Develop dashboards to communicate cost and schedule performance to project team in real time.
- Implement a standardized suite of cost and schedule reports that enable program management to make data driven decisions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Systems discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant earned value management knowledge and experience in interpretation, execution, and application of project management theories, principles, and techniques for cost and schedule systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using project controls software systems such as cost processors, scheduling and reporting tools; such as Primavera P6 and Deltek Cobra.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive experience in advanced Excel functions.
- Self-motivated problem solver with excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and accuracy while supporting interruptions in a dynamic working environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members, using negotiation skills to influence.
Additional qualifications at the Qo1.4 level
- Experience directing project controls functions, including cost estimating, cost control, and cost analysis.
- Expert level understanding of project controls technical skills and the integration of all the components of an Earned Value Management System.
- Experience performing statistical analysis, schedule monitoring and data architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex financial information to diverse audiences.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiar with Department of Defense (DoD) 5000 and NNSA 6.x acquisition processes.
- Program Management Professional certification/license.
- Familiarity with technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.