Refine Search Clear All
Standby Reliability Power Electrician
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: 827.1 High Voltage Electrician
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Standby Reliability Power Electrician. You will perform a variety of specialized journey level electrical functions including maintenance, inspections, operations, installations, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning activities on building standby generator power systems. This position is in the Maintenance Production Division within the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department. This position requires working at Site 200 in Livermore and at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
In this role you will
- Perform maintenance, inspections, operations, installation, repair, replacement, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning on building standby generator power systems including automatic transfer switches.
- Test, troubleshoot, and repair malfunctioning systems, apparatus, or components by using electrical test equipment (voltmeters, ohmmeters, insulation testers, etc.) and print reading skills.
- Follow all national, local, and Laboratory safety procedures and policies including lockout/tagout (LOTO), selecting and using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively participating in Laboratory work planning and control process.
- Document and communicate results of preventive maintenance tasks including visual inspections, defect detection, hazard identification, and code compliance.
- Analyze data and prepare reports required for managing projects, work orders, and preventive maintenance records.
- Provide effective and timely customer service to clients and team members.
- Complete preventative maintenance requests, deficiency reports, and work orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of related apprentice training program or equivalent journey-level work experience in the electrician trade; and a valid California Class C Driver’s License.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities needed in the electrician trade including proficiency in the use of all tools of the trade. Abilities may include, but not limited to maintain, inspect, operate, install, repair, replace, test, troubleshoot, and commission building standby generator power systems including automatic transfer switches.
- Knowledge of NFPA 110 Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems and applicable ES&H laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of simple and complex lockout/tagout, electrical safe work practices, and the selection and use of PPE.
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively in writing and verbally with technical, administrative, and management personnel and work effectively independently or as a team member.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and associated software to prepare logs and reports, send and receive e-mails, perform computer-based training, and timekeeping entry.
- Ability to work scheduled, on-call, and emergency overtime.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with maintenance and reliability standards and concepts such as root cause analysis, reliability centered maintenance, continuous improvement, NFPA 70B, and ANSI/NETA testing specifications.
- Knowledge of common electrical devices and their ratings and application.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
Employee Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed through the following link.