Refine Search Clear All
Full Stack DevOps Cloud Engineer- Mid/Senior
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Full Stack DevOps Cloud Operations Engineer. You will architect, implement and administer the private cloud and application infrastructure required to support applications across the Laboratory’s business services and programmatic missions. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) within the Computing Directorate, in support of the LivIT Program.
In this role you will
- Leverage systems programming expertise to automate and manage cloud service build, orchestration, monitoring, configuration management, security, and patch management as a foundation for application infrastructures and services.
- Architect and implement highly available web/application/cloud/container tier infrastructures required to support enterprise IT service delivery across public cloud infrastructures.
- Collaborate with customers, IT managers, developers, team members, systems administrators, database administrators, and security administrators to jointly develop highly automated, available, and standardized infrastructures/services that meet business/programmatic needs.
- Manage systems/services architectures throughout their systems development lifecycle, including risk analysis, capacity planning, highly available systems architecture and design, development, quality assurance, documentation, standards enforcement, implementations and upgrades, security. compliance/vulnerability remediation, and performance monitoring.
- Support the Lab’s service delivery transition from traditional on-premises infrastructures to cloud/container services implementations.
- Provide superior problem remediation support within the web/application/cloud/container tier environments in support of negotiated Service Level Agreements (SLA’s).
- Manage multiple web/application/cloud/container tier infrastructures within the AWS, Azure, Docker and Kubernetes environments to help drive our standardization, infrastructure as code, and security enhancement objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced experience with systems programming to create, configure, monitor, and automate the management of web/application/cloud/container infrastructures.
- Significant experience aiding the transition of an organization to an infrastructure as code philosophy to help drive standardization, repeatability, and broad service scalability.
- Significant experience architecting and managing public cloud and container service infrastructure transitions; including implementation, monitoring, operational support, security, and lifecycle management of web/application/cloud/container tier infrastructures to support enterprise-level service delivery with explicit, hands-on experience administering cloud services platforms (AWS and/or Azure) and containerization platforms (Docker and/or Kubernetes).
- Advanced ability to partner with customers, IT managers, developers, database administrators, systems administrators, and security administrators to jointly create web/application/cloud/container infrastructures/services that meet business requirements.
- Advanced experience with AWS and/or Azure public cloud services, and UNIX and Windows O/S administration, security, and performance tuning.
- Significant experience leveraging the Ansible (or related), and/or CloudFormation, and/or Terraform automation/orchestration tool suites to effectively and efficiently manage a large portfolio of enterprise cloud services, including O/S administration, configuration management, and security administration.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Management Information Systems.
- Experience implementing and managing enterprise COTs infrastructure services.
- Experience working in a compliance-driven and secure environment, as well as project management experience with large, enterprise COTs application implementations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now