Refine Search Clear All
Chief Financial Officer - Executive
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 177.0 Chief Financial Officer
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is on a mission to strengthen the security of the United States by developing and applying world class science that enhances national security, reduces global threats, and contributes to scientific issues of national importance. With a history spanning over 65 years, to this day we continue to innovate, collaborate, and explore backed by the minds of thousands of talented researchers, operations staff and creative professionals.
LLNL is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join our executive leadership team. In this role, you will be responsible for the financial operations of a $2.6 billion organization and serve as Treasurer of Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS), LLC. You will work with the Laboratory Director and other executive leaders to provide input to key decisions, develop and implement lab-wide strategies, and lead institutional initiatives in the execution of the Laboratory’s national security mission. Critical for success in this position is the ability to provide programmatic mission support that balances financial requirements with scientific and research needs, and credibly satisfies both constituents.
LLNL is an integrated contractor to the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), a semi-autonomous agency within the Department of Energy (DOE). As the CFO, you will be responsible for building and maintaining effective partnerships at the Federal level, including with other entities within the DOE/NNSA complex, and at the state and local levels.
The Office of the Chief Financial Officer is comprised of 160 professionals performing a wide variety of budget and financial accounting functions, including financial analysts who are deployed throughout the Laboratory.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with senior management and with programmatic, technical, and other Laboratory organizations to develop strategies, set priorities, and facilitate the accomplishment of the Laboratory's overall programmatic and institutional goals.
- Foster an OCFO work environment and culture that attracts, develops, and retains a talented and diverse financial workforce in support of the Laboratory mission.
- Develop overall strategy for LLNL financial systems and oversee operational and development efforts in collaboration with the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for the development, execution, and interpretation of Laboratory financial policies and procedures.
- Oversee and maintain an effective internal control environment consistent with Office of Management and Budget (OMB) A-123 requirements and provide management assurance of the adequacy of key internal controls.
- Direct the transparent administration of all funds in accordance with applicable policies and in support of senior management decisions.
- Ensure Laboratory financial compliance in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), LLNL's management and operating contract, DOE and NNSA policy, and other applicable federal regulations.
- Anticipate and assess the impact of outyear funding projections for the Laboratory in addition to communicating financial resource requirements to external agencies.
- Oversee the preparation of LLNL and LLNS financial statements and reports for DOE and other external entities.
- Serve as an active member of LLNS, LLC Board of Governor's Ethics and Audit Subcommittee and the National Laboratory Director’s Council CFO (NLCFO) working group.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business or equivalent combination of experience and demonstrated competence.
- Senior level leadership and management acumen, both in setting strategic direction and motivating people, to influence the development and accomplishment of organizational and institutional goals and objectives.
- Extensive experience as a senior financial/accounting manager in a large research and development or highly technical organization.
- Extensive technical knowledge of and experience with complex accounting and financial principles including direct and indirect funding/distribution mechanisms.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of federal budget process, federal contracting and financial analysis.
- Extensive experience analyzing complex and detailed financial data and information to predict financial performance.
- Proven strategic thinker who can anticipate needs and make decisions within the framework of the Laboratory’s strategic direction.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial approach to problem solving and an innovative approach to developing solutions for highly complex issues having significant impact.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, to effectively create, explain, disseminate, and present complex financial/business information to all levels of management and to internal and external organizations such as DOE, NNSA, etc.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- DOE and/or NNSA work experience.
- Detailed knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply DOE and NNSA financial policies, procedures, orders, and contract requirements applicable to management and operating contracts for the federal government.
- Extensive experience developing effective working relationships with and interacting with senior Laboratory, DOE, NNSA and other federal agency personnel.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now