Refine Search Clear All
Advanced Functional Materials and Innovative Alloys - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct innovative research in the field of Advanced Functional Materials and Innovative Alloys. You will design, evaluate, and optimize a number of structural and functional alloys suitable for metal additive manufacturing with applications in harsh environments. These projects will make contributions in one or more of the following areas: direct LLNL programmatic areas, Laboratory Directed Research and Development projects, and other externally funded materials related activities. This position is in the Actinides and Lanthanide Science group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Perform x-ray diffraction to characterize crystal structure, phase distributions, and strain state.
- Use in-situ techniques to explore microstructural evolution during heat treatment or other processing routes.
- Characterize physical properties of advanced materials, including transport and thermodynamic, and magnetic properties.
- Perform microscopy to determine microstructural features such as grain size, particle size, and elemental distribution.
- Develop advanced manufacturing approaches for new materials.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- PhD in Materials Science, Metallurgy, Physics, or other closely related field.
- Knowledge of and experience with structural and crystallographic analysis, particularly x-ray diffraction.
- Experience with characterization of functional materials, such as magnetometry, magnetostriction, or thermoelectric properties.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Experience performing self-directed research, presenting talks at conferences and a record of publishing results in established scientific journals.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with a broad spectrum of materials synthesis and characterization concepts and techniques, including synchrotron methods.
- Experience with standard mechanical testing methods, metal additive manufacturing techniques, and with SEM and related optical microscopy methods.
- Familiarity with aluminum alloys and aluminum processing methods.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now