Refine Search Clear All
Maintenance Work Planning & Control Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4 / TSL.5 Technical Services & Ops TSL 5
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Maintenance Work Planning & Control Manager to lead efforts for maintenance work planning across LLNL, to include work in nuclear facilities. As the Technical Leader, you will ensure integration and alignment of maintenance work planning with the institutional WP&C process. You will interact with other managers from across the Laboratory and oversee the efforts to define the functionality for work requests and work orders within the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), ensuring that maintenance service providers are engaged in the development process. The Maintenance WP&C Manager will also serve as the LLNL Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) Program Manager. You will serve as a member of the WP&C Functional Area Office management team. This position is in the Work Planning and Control Office.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical leadership for developing the institutional requirements, processes, and procedures for maintenance work planning and LOTO, including defining functionality of the supporting electronic Tools (including the Enterprise Asset Management System and WP&C Tool).
- Provide oversight of the Maintenance Lead Work Planner and maintenance work planners. Lead, develop, and implement the Work Planner Endorsement Qualification for Maintenance Work Planning.
- Integrate the maintenance work planning processes with the institutional T-week scheduling process, working closely with the Master Scheduler.
- Provide leadership in the development of preventive maintenance instruction and equipment-specific LOTO procedures needed to facilitate efficient work planning.
- Train and mentor the responsible managers and supervisors for both mission and site-wide maintenance service provider organizations to ensure WP&C requirements are met within their areas of responsibility.
- Chair standing working groups and/or advisory committees to drive institutional change in maintenance work planning and LOTO. Lead working groups comprised of maintenance service providers and application developers to define business processes and tool functionality.
- Develop metrics and performance indicators for maintenance planning and LOTO, and status the WP&C Program Manager and responsible managers of the maintenance service provider organizations regarding performance, an recommend improvements.
- Serve as the ES&H directorate resource and subject matter expert for maintenance planning and LOTO at LLNL, and serve as a member of the LLNL Work Control Review Board.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.5 level
- Provide advanced technical leadership and development skills for the implementation of complex institutional requirements, processes, and procedures for maintenance work planning and LOTO, including defining functionality of the supporting electronic Tools (including the Enterprise Asset Management System and WP&C Tool).
- Provide advanced training and technical leadership for the Maintenance Lead Work Planner and maintenance work planners. and
- Serve as an organizational representative to DOE, DNFSB, and other external reviewers for the maintenance planning and LOTO programs.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience leading and expert knowledge of maintenance WP&C and LOTO processes.
- Significant experience leading and managing technical maintenance, operations, or facility programs with complex requirements and rigorous oversight, such as those in the nuclear or hazardous facilities.
- Significant technical leadership experience which required interactions with senior management and external regulatory organizations.
- Significant experience leading, developing, and championing creative and innovative solutions to complex issues and problems related to WP&C and LOTO, utilizing strong skills in project management, problem-solving, conflict resolution, persuasion, negotiation, and consensus-building and independent judgement to ensure milestones are met.
- Significant experience leading change and mentoring various levels of staff, including technicians, engineers, and managers through a change process.
- Expert technical, organizational, collaboration, necessary to resolve complex issues.
- Expert verbal and written communication, facilitation, collaboration and presentation skills required to effectively present, explain and advise senior management and external regulators.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.5 level
- Extensive leadership and management experience in a large-scale, mission-oriented organization consisting of multiple organizations with varying levels of oversight and technical and operational management required.
- Extensive experience with leading/managing operational programs with an emphasis on work control, facility operations, risk management, or Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) areas, which may include planning, overseeing, and balancing operational and budget priorities to achieve desired results.
- Substantial experience in being politically adept, influential with the ability to build strong and sustained partnerships across diverse and broad internal and external organizations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Engineering or a related field.
- Experience working at DOE or non-government hazardous facilities in nuclear operations and/or work planning and control roles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now