Refine Search Clear All
Government Funded Student Intern (WDTS) - Summer
Students | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: 702.0 Government Funded Intern
Organization: Strategic Human Resources Mgmt
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
WDTS Program – Summer 2021 Term
This listing is for pre-selected Office of Science (SC) WDTS Students and Faculty. If you have not previously applied to the Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientist (WDTS) Program and been selected by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Lab Education Director (LED) please visit https://science.osti.gov/wdts to learn more about the WDTS Program.
The mission WDTS is to help ensure that Department of Energy (DOE) and the Nation have a sustained pipeline of highly skilled and diverse science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workers. This is accomplished partly by support of undergraduate internships and faculty programs.
The DOE and SC encourages undergraduate students and for students who have received their Bachelor's degree and have not begun graduate studies to pursue STEM careers by providing research experiences at the DOE National Laboratories. Selected faculty and students perform research, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers, on projects related to ongoing programs.
This includes the following programs:
- Community College Internship (CCI)
- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
- Visiting Faculty Program - Student
In this role you will
- Complete the full 10-16 week program (based on term).
- Under close supervision, you will participate in research in assigned area.
- Complete the entrance and exit surveys through the online system provided at the beginning and the end of the internship.
- Make an oral or poster presentation on the outcome of their research activities.
- Complete and submit a research project report.
- Submit an abstract of their research in the required format.
- Submit a one-page peer review of another intern’s talk or poster. (SULI & VFP interns only)
- Attend all scheduled events including lectures, tours and group activities.
- Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities
- Notification of acceptance into one of the Office of Science Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) programs.
- Selection by LLNL LED
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now