Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/04/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Applied Physicist/Engineer. You will work on Z-pinch plasma experiments, induction accelerator diagnostics, compact source experiments, and other technically challenging problems. You will travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers. Opportunities exist for collaborations with the Fusion Energy Sciences Program. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Perform and conduct experimental campaigns and continue engineering upgrades of experiments and diagnostics in the following areas: Z-pinch plasmas, or compact sources.
- Serve as a technical expert in formal and ad hoc groups assembled to address pressing accelerator and radiation source applications in national security.
- Write periodic progress reports. Update safety plans/IWS’s in accordance with experimental needs.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas.
- Prepare written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Travel as necessary to interact with sponsors and customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Plasma Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in operation and analysis of plasma experiments and plasma physics diagnostics.
- Advanced knowledge of plasma physics or nuclear engineering.
- Experience authoring technical and scientific reports and publications, and delivering scientific presentations.
- Experience developing research proposals.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with pulsed power technologies including spark gaps, thyratrons, ignitrons, and solid-state switches, capacitor banks and Marx generators, magnetic pulse compression, and pulse forming lines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now