Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Telecommunications Technician. You will provide technical support, complete construction, installation, maintenance, removal, and repair of telecommunication infrastructure, cable and related equipment inside facilities and underground throughout the Laboratory, including Site 300. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computing Directorate and supports the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either the 531.2 or 531.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Place, splice, terminate, and test fiber optic and copper cable.
- Build copper and/or fiber optics cross-connects for the main/building distribution frames.
- Complete moderately complex troubleshooting and repair services for fixed voice, VoIP, and special circuits.
- Pre-field, evaluate and recommend appropriate provisioning of Telecommunication Services.
- Interact regularly with co-workers, supervisors, technical support personnel, building coordinators, and project managers.
- Collaborate with customer service and service order personnel on service orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the 531.3 Level
- Solve complex technical problems and repair services for copper cable and fiber optic cabling.
- Analyze, evaluate and pre-field complex orders/problems and recommend appropriate courses of action.
- Establish and modify work procedures, guidelines and/or techniques used for installation, troubleshooting and/or safety issues.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Computer Maintenance, or Electro-optic Technology or a technology related certificate or diploma with work experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General working knowledge of telecommunications, including fiber optic and copper cable Systems, Voice and Data terminal equipment, Building Wire and Jacks.
- General experience and knowledge necessary to operate basic telecommunication systems test equipment.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of relevant technologies and processes, including general telecommunications background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics or electro-optic theory to solve circuitry or system malfunctions.
- Effective communication, written, interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and customers.
- Ability to work safely, including climbing ladders, working in confined spaces, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Current California driver’s license required.
In Addition at the 531.3 Level
- Advanced technical skills, knowledge and abilities in complex electronics technology including, including Fiber Optic and associated terminating Copper Cable Systems, Voice and Data terminal equipment, Building Wire and equipment.
- Significant experience with Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR) and Power Meters.
- Experience working effectively with minimal supervision, handling multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously in a dynamic operations environment, including making independent, fundamental decisions to support a variety of complex technical problems.
- Knowledge of the LLNL telecommunications infrastructure, physical plant layout, security requirements, service order systems, and procedures and documentation systems.
- Knowledge of LLNL facilities and programs.
- CCNA Certification.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral