Refine Search Clear All
Sheet Metal Fabricator II/III
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 971.2 Metal Fabricator II / 971.3 Metal Fabricator III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Sheet Metal Fabricator II/III. You will provide basic journeyman sheet metal/welding fabrication skills and general manufacturing support to fabricate and process parts to customer requirements. This position requires close technical interactions with shop planners and supervision, as well as customers. You will report to the Area Shop Supervisor in the Manufacturing Engineering Section under the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform intermediate/Journeymen level sheet metal fabrication operations using conventional sheet metal shop equipment, welding processes and related manufacturing equipment.
- Operate power brakes, shears and bench machines, for example, roll forms, crimpers, grinders and various sheet metal hand tools including a box and pan brake.
- Maintain close tolerances when fabricating and welding parts.
- Conduct Tig welding on aluminum and stainless steel.
- Provide solutions or alternative approaches to solve basic technical manufacturing problems.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during welding and manufacturing processes.
- Provide general shop support activities in support of Area shops.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 971.3 level
- Perform advanced journey-level fabrication operations involving conventional sheet metal shop equipment, welding processes and related manufacturing equipment.
- Utilize Mastercam for programming
- Intermediate Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Experience operating power brakes, shears and bench machines, for example, roll forms, crimpers, grinders and various sheet metal hand tools including a box and pan brake.
- Experienced with Tig welding aluminum and stainless steel.
- Proficient in sheet metal layout with experience in design build.
- Intermediate experience using related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Intermediate knowledge of ANSI Y14.5 drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate technical knowledge in sheet metal operations, procedures, standards, and techniques in a variety of materials and related equipment (e.g., MIG, TIG welding).
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 971.3 level
- Advanced Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the fabrication technology.
- Proficient in Mastercam.
- Experience utilizing effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- An Associate degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology.
- Experience welding of both thick and thin materials (e.g., .125" Stainless Steel - 2"Aluminum).
- Experience with machine shop tools and precision fabrications.
- Having computer skills in cad programs, Procam, Mastercam or Autocad.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral