Refine Search Clear All
Senior Cybersecurity R&D
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an experienced Computer Scientist with a background in cyber security. You will lead research on topics related to cyber security for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks and participate in strategy and business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program in the Global Security Principal Associate Directorate. This position is within the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) of the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and support highly complex research projects requiring in-depth analysis and creative use of innovative methods in one or more of the following areas: critical infrastructure cyber security, information security, and cyber security.
- Provide highly advanced technical leadership to cyber security projects; maintain and ensure excellence in execution of projects and ensure quality standards for deliverables; manage multiple parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met.
- Develop new program growth opportunities through interactions with current and potential sponsors and the development of research proposals.
- Partner with other cyber security experts internally and externally to share relevant knowledge, working to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Leverage existing work, internal resources and partnerships to develop new capabilities to increase the impact of LLNL.
- Work closely with program leadership to ensure coordination and leveraging across the portfolio.
- Actively participate in strategic planning for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.5 level
- Direct a portfolio of complex technical tasks and projects; set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for Laboratory, self and/or others.
- Provide highly innovative solutions to abstract complex problems/ideas and convert them into useable algorithms/software modules, and provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert level application and development of software in C++, C, or Python (or equivalent), as well as experience developing software applications in Linux, macOS, and/or Windows environments.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following computer science disciplines: embedded systems, high performance computing, scientific data analysis, machine learning, systems programming, software engineering, and big data technologies.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of multiple cyber security areas including network/protocol analysis, intrusion detection, cryptography, reverse engineering, incident response, malware analysis, and/or secure architectures.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor/customer interactions as well as knowledge building and community engagement.
- Expert verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate with internal and external teams to present and explain technical information and advise senior management; as well as diplomatic communication skills for interactions with sponsors/customers, and multi-lab teams.
Additional qualifications at the SES.5 level
- Expert knowledge of cyber security multiple cybersecurity areas including network/protocol analysis, intrusion detection, cryptography, reverse engineering, incident response, malware analysis, and/or secure architectures.
- Expert analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Extensive experience managing projects, working with customers/sponsors, and/or developing proposals.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral