Refine Search Clear All
Sr. Electrical Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Senior Electrical Engineer. You will provide engineering design solutions associated with the Laboratory’s electrical infrastructure for new construction, remodeling, and modifications to conventional office and laboratory facilities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Prepare and implement complex electrical designs utilizing design criteria, calculations, schematics, red-line sketches, construction documents, procedures, and specifications.
- Determine functional electrical requirements for new or modified specialized equipment and support systems and perform advanced electrical engineering calculations for short-circuit analysis of facility power distribution systems and arc flash safety analysis as needed.
- Provide engineering support during construction performed by outside contractors including reviewing submittals and shop drawings, responding to contractor questions, evaluating change order requests, resolving field problems.
- Lead multiple complex internal electrical projects with responsibility for the development and compliance with technical criteria, schedules, and deliverables, and direct the work of electrical designers and drafters preparing drawings prepared in AutoCAD for projects.
- Participate in design reviews to obtain approvals of project scope and designs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4
- Lead highly complex internal multi-disciplinary engineering projects as the Project Lead or Design Manager with overall responsibility for developing technical criteria, budgets, schedules, and deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience, and Professional Engineering Registration in Electrical Engineering in California or reciprocity from another state within twelve months.
- Experience in a technical leadership role in electrical design projects with technical, analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Significant experience in design work with the application of electrical power distribution system components such as transformers, switchgears, motor control centers, automatic transfer switches, uninterrupted power sources, backup generators, and grounding systems with significant experience preparing load studies, branch circuit and short-circuit analysis, and arc flash calculations.
- Advanced knowledge of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70 and National and California Electrical Codes, electrical safety standards such as Underwriters Laboratories and International Electrical Testing Association, and significant experience with electrical safety issues associated with NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace., etc.
- Experience designing projects required to comply with California Building Energy Efficiency Standards, (Title 24).
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, projects, and priorities to meet demanding deadlines and schedules.
- Significant experience generating correspondence, reports, calculations, and presentations using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other applicable software.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Substantial experience and subject matter expertise in facility electrical engineering and Building Code compliance.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience performing design work for electrical power distribution systems in an architectural engineering (AE) consulting environment.
- Knowledge of high voltage utility systems.
- Experience with systems and infrastructure for building automation systems and the ability to read and develop control system schematics and wiring diagrams.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral