Refine Search Clear All
Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Academic Graduate Appointee
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 710.0 Academic Graduate Appointee Ex
Position Type: Academic Graduate Appointee
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Academic Graduate Appointee. You will work under the guidance of NDE staff members to perform experiments and data analysis in the areas of structural and materials characterization and synthesis process development for projects that support national security programs. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work under general guidance of nondestructive evaluation staff engineers in areas such as x-ray imaging and computed tomography, ultrasound characterization (including laser-based ultrasound), electromagnetic (including microwave frequency measurements) and optical characterization (including interferometry and holography).
- Conduct, analyze, and present data from experiments to develop and improve the understanding of structures, materials, and processes.
- Determine solutions to technical problems of limited complexity involving the characterization of objects and fabrication processes by reviewing scientific and technical literature and experimental techniques.
- Disseminate results, including methods developed, and keep current on materials and structural characterization methods.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and technicians to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Experience in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related field gained through coursework, training, and/or work experience.
- Experience conducting experiments related to the processing and characterization of materials.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, document analyses and prepare, present and explain technical information and publications.
- Strong initiative, interpersonal skills, creativity, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with several characterization and data evaluation techniques.
- Familiarity with materials and structural specifications.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral