Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 981.2 Senior Machinist I / 981.3 Senior Machinist II
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Machinists/Sr. Machinists. You will provide journeymen skill level manufacturing support to fabricate difficult-to-machine parts, components, and assemblies to customer requirements. You will have close technical interactions with engineering support and facility personnel. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Set up and operate all conventional and most moderately complex precision and CNC machine tools to manufacture parts and assemblies.
- Handle and manage classified documents, parts, and systems.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Fabricate difficult fixtures and holding devices used during manufacturing processes.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to achieve ultra-precision finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate moderately complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out advanced technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 981.3 level
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Solve complex technical problems.
- Associate degree in Machine Tool Technology or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the machining trade or equivalent level of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to perform moderately complex machining operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, also related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgment and creativity.
- Intermediate level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices. Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
Additional qualifications at the 981.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with handling classified documents, classified parts, and classified removable electronic media.
- High Explosives or hazardous materials handling/machining experience.
- Familiarity with MasterCam and/or Pro-E-Creo CNC programming.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral