Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 533.1 Technician-Mechanical / 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Radiographic/Ultrasonic Technicians or Technologists to provide basic technical support for radiographic and/or ultrasonic operations utilizing various Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) systems. The selected candidates will work as part of the team by providing technical support to a variety of Laboratory missions as needed. This work will involve being trained and certified to work with hazardous materials such as radioactive and explosives materials. If selected, you will utilize a variety of industrial x-ray (vs. isotope) techniques including radiographic film (RT), direct read flat panel detectors (DR), phosphor storage imaging plates (IP) computed radiography (CR), computed tomography (CT), and flash radiography (FXR) and/or ultrasonic techniques including phased array (PAUT), immersion and contact ultrasonics (UT). Occasional travel and overtime may be required. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work under close supervision to provide basic technical support to NDE staff.Basic knowledge of industrial x-ray equipment using radiographic film (RT)/phosphor storage imaging plates computed radiography (CR)/flash radiography (FXR), and/or:
- Basic knowledge of industrial ultrasonic contact techniques.
- Basic ability to read, interpret, and follow documentation to perform basic NDE test methods.
- Perform basic equipment maintenance and system testing.
- Collect data using fundamental knowledge of NDE methods.
- Follow written/verbal operational and safety procedures.
- Practice good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas.
- Follow ES&H, security, and best business practice requirements and policies.
- Obtain and maintain training/qualification programs prior to working in/with hazardous areas and materials such as radioactive and explosives.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.2 level
- Work under general supervision to provide general technical support to NDE staff and customers.
- Perform moderately complex NDE operations, maintenance, system testing and troubleshoot equipment.
- Provide general mechanical fabrication in support of NDE projects.
- An Associate degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a technical or engineering field that includes mechanical training.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification(s) in Radiographic Testing (RT)/Ultrasonic Testing (UT) Level I per the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) or equivalent.
- Basic understanding of industrial x-ray/ultrasonic methods and support equipment i.e. film processors, scanners, etc.
- Intermediate skills with personal computers and associated software (Microsoft Office)
- Possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. and work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 533.2 level
- Possess and maintain certification(s) in RT/UT Level II per ASNT or equivalent.
- Intermediate skills and experience interpreting NDE codes, standards, recommended practices, and techniques.
- Experience working with industrial x-ray/ultrasonic equipment.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of moderately complex radiographic, ultrasonic techniques and hand, power tools.
- Possess effective written, verbal and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience operating machine tools (drill press, bandsaw, mill and lathe operation).
- Familiar with 3D CAD mechanical design software.
- Experience working with high energy x-ray equipment
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral