Refine Search Clear All
Deputy ADL for Operations
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a deputy to the Associate Division Leader (ADL) to assist in providing technical review and guidance to all DTED engineering activities. You will act as a member of the Division Design Review Board; evaluate the Engineering Design Review input documentation for accuracy and completeness. In addition, you will assist in directing Quality Assurance (QA) audits and self-assessments, lead efforts in defining/revising work standards, provide feedback to the engineering Group Leaders, and serve as an Engineering AD resource for technical reviews and other institutional initiatives. This position will be in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical expertise and leadership to DTED managers and professional staff on the implementation of Engineering standards to assure the proper quality of design reviews and mechanical and electrical safety notes generated by DTED personnel, and participate in the Nuclear Weapon Engineering (NWE) Peer Review Process.
- Assist in providing leadership and oversight in the DTED areas of contract assurance, safety, security, and quality assurance.
- Assure the proper application of LLNL, Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) and DTED policies and procedures ensuring the safety and security of personnel, the meeting of programmatic milestones, and compliance, where appropriate.
- Assist in providing oversight and direction to all NWE-related facilities work, information technology interactions, division project management initiatives, closed areas, and the training program.
- Provide technical engineering guidance to Division personnel in support of their programmatic work assignments.
- Collaborate with the ADL for Operations, the Division Leader, and Deputy Division Leader to establish Division policies and procedures.
- Conduct assessments of DTED work activities and facilities and direct corrective actions as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or external advisor by sponsors.
- Serve on external scientific or technical committees, representing the Laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience of Engineering’s Design Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures, and ES&H requirements, practices, and documentation.
- Extensive experience presenting concepts and ideas in a clear, coherent, and persuasive manner both verbal and in written form for presentations and interactions with other technical staff members.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work successfully with a team.
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous activities effectively.
- Significant experience interfacing with Program and institutional customers to ensure effective Engineering/programmatic teamwork.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Extensive experience in engineering project leadership, including: work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, budget management, defining and managing risks, and reporting.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expert technical knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in engineering or related field.
- Supervisory experience, including preparing performance appraisals and participating in ranking processes and salary management.
- Broad and diverse background with LLNL Programs and in mechanical and/or electrical design, nuclear weapons design and testing, energetic material applications, and the wide spectrum of capabilities and operations inherent at remote locations.
- Experience of the programmatic elements associated with the Weapons and Complex Integration Directorate, i.e., Primary Nuclear Design (PND), Secondary Nuclear Design (SND), NWE, and the Joint Laboratory Organization-Nevada (JLON) Programs.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral