Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Associate - NIF Laser Transport Lasers and Alignment Section
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Associate - NIF Laser Transport Lasers and Alignment Section. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate’s Laser Transport group. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require overtime, shift flexibility, and/or weekends to accomplish goals. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems.
- Perform standard machine shop practices; milling machine, metal lathe, vertical band saw and drill press.
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex to highly complex mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment.
- Prepare and work from instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment and systems independently, under general supervision.
- Perform routine maintenance of equipment.
- Provide technical innovation expertise for engineering tests, physics experiments, and program operations.
- Acquire and analyze complex data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Contribute to complex preliminary design concepts and engineering decision process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Utilize highly advanced administrative and technical leadership skills and knowledge to define, interpret, design, oversee fabrication and operation of experimental test prototypes, associated diagnostics, including metrology, mechanical, or electronic equipment.
- Make frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment to define project approaches and create and implement original solutions in support of highly complex engineering work.
- Provide highly advanced support to engineers/scientists in solving highly complex technical problems to various projects within the Laser Transport group (LASE)/NIF including extensive collaboration with high level technical personnel and senior managers at the division and department level management or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering technology such as mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing, or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Significant experience in complex mechanical fabricating and/or assembly and intermediate MIG (metal inert gas) and TIG (tungsten inert gas) welding skills.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in engineering design, vacuum technology, fabrication, and assembly techniques.
- Significant experience with complex mechanical assemblies, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance in a large, multi-beam laser system in the areas of vacuum, radiation contamination control, pressure systems, conventional, or process utilities.
- Ability to solve complex hardware or system challenges, including experience with data analysis, while working independently, under general supervision.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Possess advanced written, verbal and presentation skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to be flexible to overtime, shift, and/or weekends on occasion to accomplish goals as needed.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Highly advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve highly complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures while making recommendations as appropriate.
- Highly advanced administrative and technical leadership skills and knowledge of highly complex mechanical design and fabrication also utilizing experience working with metrology and/or electronic equipment.
- Experience making frequent decisions using a high degree of independent discretion.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral