Refine Search Clear All
Sr. Electronics Engineer - System Integration
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/24/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The Advanced Sources and Detectors (ASD) Scorpius project has multiple openings for Senior Electronic Engineers. You will contribute to the design, deployment, and operations of the various products associated with the ASD project, including the Solid State Pulse Power drivers, the Linear Induction Accelerator cells and all the support systems that are being developed to support our design efforts. The ASD project is a multi-year, multi-lab project to design and commission the next generation of radiographic capabilities for use in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the nation’s nuclear stockpile. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) in the LLNL Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide electronics and electrical system level design solutions to include architecture development, trade study analysis, and qualification processes and execute systems engineering processes to include requirements development, interface definitions, and verification activities.
- Develop and produce advanced conceptual and detail designs that meet technical requirements.
- Deploy and field systems at Nevada and other remote experimental sites. Respond to and address operational issues and needs.
- Provide customers with engineering solutions for a wide range of engineering challenges associated with execution of ongoing programmatic activities including the generation of planning documents, reports, and presentations as required to support customer deliverables.
- Manage project interfaces and deployment interfacing with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Lead and/or provide guidance and complex technical direction to multidisciplinary team in execution of science experiments.
- Serve on cross-cutting technical teams or project teams in support of the stockpile stewardship mission of the Laboratory.
- Travel to other locations as necessary to meet programmatic and project goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned..
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead and/or provide expert guidance and highly complex technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams in a growing, dynamic environment.
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and internal customers and serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or external advisor by sponsors.
- Work collaboratively and effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team environment with ability to coordinate and lead work and goals on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with complex experimental instrumentation, high speed diagnostics, electrical design and/or systems engineering.
- Significant experience in complex prototype development and testing, as well as hardware design and analysis.
- Ability to devise solutions for unique and complex problems and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant experience in fielding systems and/or experiments at facilities and/or remote locations. Experience managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and on schedule.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
- Ability to travel to other locations as needed.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Subject matter expertise in highly complex electrical design and analysis and substantial experience in project planning and providing technical leadership.
- Substantial experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and demonstrated record of team building and conflict resolution.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in leading an experimental team at major experimental facilities and/or remote sites.
- Experience in managing an experimental program.
- Experience in leading High-Energy Physics experiments.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral