Refine Search Clear All
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: 826.1 Plumber/Fitter
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Alarms Plumber/Pipefitters. You will perform a wide variety of journey-level plumber/fitter activities including layout, fabrication, installation of fire risers and related components, and repair of plant piping systems designed to transport a variety of liquid and gaseous substances. You will provide minor modifications, alterations, and maintenance services including service plumbing to all LLNL facilities and utilities. These positions are in the Emergency Management Department, Alarms Division.
In this role you will
- Perform journey level maintenance, installation, testing, and repair on various types of fire sprinkler systems, fire risers and related components.
- Provide intermediate skilled technical laborer assistance with moderately complex new fire sprinkler installations, maintenance and repair of specialized detection systems to include sprinkler line piping, sprinkler heads, fire risers, water pressure gauges, and deluge systems.
- Perform testing and troubleshooting to restore systems to operational condition.
- Perform required preventive maintenance and prepare accurate documentation and standard reports in accordance with Laboratory Fire alarm preventive maintenance system protocol.
- Interact and communicate regularly with Laboratory fire and alarms personnel, clients, and team members to meet program goals.
- Assist in fire and emergency voice alarm system maintenance processes.
- Perform tasks in accordance with ES&H (Environmental, Safety, and Health) regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience. Completion of apprenticeship program in plumber and/or pipefitter trades or equivalent experience.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and experience in the plumber and/or pipefitter trades including basic knowledge of and experience with fire sprinkler systems and emergency voice alarm systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of all hand tools and portable power tools of the trade.
- Knowledge of basic plumbing, pipefitting, and welding.
- Effective customer service, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact effectively with others and to complete required forms.
- Basic knowledge of ability to apply ES&H laws and regulations.
- Basic knowledge of computers for timekeeping and standard reporting.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Class B Driver's License, work a flexible schedule, overtime, and shift or weekends in all buildings and areas of Site 200 and 300, including ability to lift up to 50 pounds, be medically qualified to wear protective equipment, and ability to work in confined spaces.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of Fire Sprinkler Systems and related components with a basic understanding of electrical theory and principles.
- Ability to be certified in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 13 and 25, interpret and apply NFPA 13 and 25 Code Book regulations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral