Refine Search Clear All
Atmospheric Earth and Energy Division Leader
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1 / TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Division Leader (DL) to provide leadership, oversight and management of the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division (AEED) staff that support the Laboratory's Global Security programs including nonproliferation, energy security, and nuclear counterterrorism, as well as programs funded by the DOE Office of Science and various non-DOE sponsors, including the State of California and industrial sponsors. The research activities of the Division include atmospheric science, climate and carbon cycle research, seismology, hydrology, geoscience, environmental science, accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS), and nuclear energy research. You will oversee an estimated ~$25M of programs and projects, including sponsored research, institutionally supported activities, and Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) projects. This position is in the Associate Director’s Office within the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide overall leadership, direction, and scientific and technical oversight to the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division to ensure an effective system for recruiting and hiring high quality scientific staff, and training and developing the existing staff.
- Articulate the missions and develop the strategic plan for the Division that defines its core capabilities and future directions.
- Plan and oversee research and development activities in the Division in multiple research areas and ensure the creation, maintenance, and enhancement of underlying core competencies.
- Oversee performance management and evaluation of all Division staff. This includes ongoing training and career development activities, yearly performance appraisals, ranking, and salary management.
- Oversee research commitments, program resources and multiple budgets including DOE, external programs, and internal science funding, ensuring all Laboratory and DOE fiscal policies and practices are followed.
- Develop business plans for program development and identify Divisional staffing needs for current and future Laboratory programs, collaborating with leaders of other LLNL organizations.
- Establish and enhance partnerships and relationships with sponsors of AEED programs; foster integration with relevant national and international scientific organizations and their activities, including other DOE laboratories.
- Ensure that the conduct of Division’s research and operations are performed in a manner consistent with LLNL’s ES&H and security standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSM.2 level
- Coordinate Directorate-level interactions with the scientific community, including workshop and conference sponsorship, and major interaction and collaborations with universities, national labs and pertinent AEED science program sponsors.
- Assist senior management in scientific workforce planning to lead and achieve organization goals and objectives and meet Laboratory, corporate, Department of Energy (DOE) and customer/sponsor requirements.
- PhD in science or engineering field relevant to atmospheric, earth or environmental sciences, energy research, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, with technical expertise in one or more areas of atmospheric, earth or environmental sciences, energy research.
- Record of scientific creativity, achievement and leadership, as documented in publications and professional recognition.
- Extensive experience developing, managing and evaluating programs, projects and personnel in a technically diverse organization.
- Extensive experience managing financial activities, ensuring program and overhead accounts are properly maintained and overseen according to LLNL and DOE fiscal policies and practices.
- Ability to lead, motivate, delegate effectively and build complex interdisciplinary teams to work toward programmatic and institutional goals. Team effectively with other PLS management for overarching PLS strategic goals.Extensive supervisory experience, including experience in development and implementation of performance reviews, ranking, and salary management; demonstrated ability to set clear goals and expectations, and communicate them to customers and performers.
- Experience interacting effectively at high level internal and external organizations and constituencies, with the ability to work with conflicting priorities and multiple deadlines.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, and problem-solving skills necessary to direct a diverse organization, lead innovative research, build cooperative multi-disciplinary teams, and interact with management and customers/sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the TSM.2 level
- Extensive experience in dealing and negotiating effectively with high-level management and executives internal and external to the Laboratory regarding matters of significance to the organization.
- Significant knowledge of managerial practices and experience effectively balancing budgets and complex workforce priorities to achieve desired results. Expertise in strategic planning and organizational dynamics.
- Extensive experience working effectively in a high-impact, high-visibility, multi-task environment and ability to lead a management team contributing to strategic planning.
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated understanding of a diverse laboratory and national research environment, and the ability to work within that environment towards long-range goals.
- Familiarity with programs and core capabilities relevant to AEED.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral