Refine Search Clear All
Actinide Isotope Signatures - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/18/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Research Scientist to develop and pursue innovative research in the identification of actinide isotope signatures in environmental samples and nuclear materials with applications to problems in nuclear forensics and proliferation detection. You will investigate the behavior of U-series and Pu-series nuclides during material production processes through isotopic analysis by MC-ICP-MS or TIMS. The position is in the Chemical and Isotopic Signatures group within the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division
In this role you will
- Independently develop and pursue advanced innovative research in actinide decay-series isotope measurements of environmental samples and nuclear materials addressing complex problems in nuclear forensics and proliferation detection
- Establish new analytical protocols and techniques for high-purity separation of actinides from complex sample matrices and isotopic analysis by magnetic sector multi-collector mass spectrometry
- Lead technical efforts with responsibility for budgets, schedules, deliverables and resource allocation
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and technical personnel to accomplish research goals
- Prepare research proposals for agencies that fund research on nuclear science
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific publications and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Geochemistry, Chemistry, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in purification of actinides from complex matrices for MC-ICP-MS or TIMS analysis of isotopic composition
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in multi-collector isotope ratio mass spectrometry for determination of isotopic composition and concentration using isotope dilution methods
- Significant experience in the interpretation and modeling and of actinide decay-chain disequilibria as a chronometer of natural and/or nuclear fuel cycle processes
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations
- Initiative and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.