Refine Search Clear All
Analytical Laboratory Group Leader
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3 / TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Group Leader for the Analytical Laboratory (ALAB) in the Environment Safety & Health Directorate. You will be responsible for managing the daily operations of ALAB and the supervision of the personnel analyzing industrial hygiene and environmental samples. You will be responsible for maintaining accreditation by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the state of California, and also be compliant with LLNL policies, Department of Energy Orders, and federal regulations.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical direction, direct daily operations of ALAB staff and oversees training qualifications for staff at both ALAB and satellite analytical locations in accordance with accreditation requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that analytical laboratory management programs meet ISO 17025, AIHA Laboratory Accreditation Programs, California Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (CA ELAP) and other applicable standards and regulatory requirements for analytical operations.
- Responsible for ensuring that a Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) is reviewed annually, updated, implemented and complies with all applicable requirements. Continuously improve the management system.
- Solve complex technical problems with frequent, independent decision making, interacting with customers at all levels.
- Deliver accurate analytical results to customers in a timely manner.
- Prepare, approve, revise and implement analytical procedures.
- Performing performance management activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Plan for and implement the execution of new programs or areas of testing.
- Independently determines priorities based on broad objectives from management.
- Interacts with peers outside of the Laboratory to influence policy or regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or another related technical area, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience and ability to perform independent work.
- Advanced knowledge of and comprehensive experience in analytical chemistry and associated instrumentation for industrial hygiene or environmental testing.
- Experience with one or more of the following: ISO 17025, AIHA Laboratory Accreditation Programs, CA ELAP and other applicable standards and regulatory requirements for analytical operations.
- Experience overseeing an analytical laboratory and performing performance management activities.
- Experience designing or implementing laboratory quality control and quality assurance procedures and programs.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Knowledge of regulations or methods for industrial hygiene or environmental sampling and analysis.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, unscheduled events, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people, including effective interpersonal skills with the ability to handle complex, sensitive and confidential issues with tact, discretion and mature judgment.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Experience supervising a technical staff in a laboratory setting.
- Experience developing or using metrics to track laboratory performance.
- Experience with strategic planning and goal setting for a laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with LIMS selection and implementation.
- Experience conducting self-assessment of analytical laboratories.
- Experience with working with outside assessors and developing corrective actions in response to assessment findings.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral