Refine Search Clear All
Monitoring Systems Engineer
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 01/18/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an ES&H Monitoring Systems Engineer. You will provide system engineering support for ES&H monitoring instrumentation in radiological, wastewater, air quality, and meteorology programs at LLNL. This position is in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual models of instrumentation and control software design to provide comprehensive ES&H monitoring systems to support environmental protection and safety at LLNL.
- Prepare in-depth technical guidance procedures and safety engineering documentation to ensure monitoring systems are operated and validated to produce data consistent with design requirement.
- Design, maintain, and repair automated monitoring instrumentation including commercial of the shelf (COTS) and custom hardware at the Sewer Monitoring Complex and other locations.
- Establish and maintain simple to complex instrumentation, software, and equipment inventories and life cycle plans to support replacement or obsolescence.
- Develop software platforms of data logging, analytics, and database management.
- Prepare engineering design and instrumentation diagrams for ES&H monitoring systems.
- Implement process improvements for ES&H compliance monitoring programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Plan for extensive life cycle, staffing, and financial resource needs to maintain automated ES&H monitoring equipment.
- Identify and implement COTS technologies and design electrical configuration and data acquisition systems for improved compliance monitoring.
- Develop or employ software in Python, C++, or Java to support monitoring operation applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience identifying and trouble-shooting basic hardware and software issues in customized electronic data collection and process control systems.
- Ability to understand how to interpret electronic and physical system behavior based on sensory instrumentation data.
- Advanced knowledge of electronics and how to program or configure hardware used for process automation, data collection, or operator interaction.
- Analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Strong organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service, and good follow-through.
- Experience working independently as well as in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people including effective interpersonal skills with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact, discretion, and mature judgment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively present, explain and communicate moderately complex technical information to all levels of personnel and management.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Master’s degree in Environmental, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental understanding of the application of Python, C++, or Java to support programmable logic controllers (PLCs), process automation, or sensor instrumentation.
- Expert knowledge of the principles and practices of systems engineering.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral