Refine Search Clear All
Ion Implantation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE L clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to play a major role in the development and application of high energy ion implantation to solve materials challenges in support of LLNL’s national security mission. This position is in the Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (https://cams.llnl.gov) group with the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division of the Physical and Life Science Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Utilize high voltage particle accelerators to conduct ion implantation experiments to emulate radiation damage effects in critical materials related to nuclear weapons, fusion energy, and radiation detectors.
- Develop novel methods, such as simultaneous multi-beam irradiation, for performing ion implantation coupled with in-situ characterization techniques.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Ph.D. in nuclear engineering, nuclear physics, radiochemistry, materials science, or a related field.
- Hands on experience operating and maintaining high voltage accelerators and related instrumentation (e.g., ion sources).
- Experience designing and conducting ion beam experiments including a working knowledge of how ions interact with matter.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to complex scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now