Refine Search Clear All
Chemist, Explosive Degradation Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have several openings for Chemist, Explosive Degradation - Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in experimental material science with an emphasis on chemical reactions, and degradation of explosives. You will actively participate in the research to evaluate the reaction mechanisms and kinetics of explosives and integrate experimental results to calibrate or constrain theoretical models. This position is in the Energetic Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental and applied research on explosive reactions and degradation mechanisms and kinetics supporting efforts to model and simulate explosive properties and responses under different environments and conditions
- Design and perform experiments on explosives using various advanced characterization tools (for example, differential scanning calorimetry, thermogravimetric analysis, gas analysis methods, Infrared and Raman spectroscopy, Laser Induced Breakdown spectroscopy, laser ablation, and other techniques as needed to quantify explosive changes and degradation due to various stresses).
- Develop and/or constrain/calibrate kinetic and thermodynamic models
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals and present results within the DOE community and at conferences
- Interact and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory. Write proposals to seek out new funding sources to advance new technical areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship .
- PhD in Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.
- Proficiency in design and performance of experiments using one or more advanced quantitative experimental techniques.
- Experience developing analytical models to describe experimental data
- Familiarity with data analysis software (e.g., excel, Matlab, Python, Mathematica, Comsol, Labview, C/C++, R, etc.).
- Experience using scientific methods to investigate and resolve challenging chemical or materials science questions.
- Willingness to routinely work with explosives and obtaining and maintaining required qualification as an Explosives Handler.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports on time.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Materials expertise in polymers, explosives, or organic composite
- Experience using advance data analysis techniques (e.g. chemometrics, machine learning, data science, etc.) applied to scientific data sets.
- Demonstrated experience investigating degradation mechanisms and kinetics of materials.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.