Refine Search Clear All
Applied Plasmas for National Security - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for Postdoctoral Researchers who are interesting in proposing, developing, and executing experiments, unique diagnostics and techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of magnetically driven High Energy Density (HED) and Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) science, as well as high intensity laser-matter interactions. We are looking for a motivated and thoughtful candidate with expertise in one or more areas including pulsed power research, advanced X-ray, nuclear, or optical diagnostics, or in leading ultra-high intensity laser experiments. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to focus work on one or more of the above topics based on expertise and interest. Example diagnostics currently under development for the Z-machine at Sandia National Laboratories include a precision neutron time-of-flight suite to measure ion temperature, high resolution neutron imaging, streaked x-ray imaging and spectroscopy, as well as a time resolved, multi-channel, continuum spectrometer for measuring electron temperature history. LLNL is also leading pulsed-power ICF experiments on the Z-machine at SNL, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to become a member of the team, taking a leading role in carrying out experiments as part of this mission critical effort. This position will be in the Applied Plasmas for National Security Group in Fusion Energy Sciences Program Section of the Physics Division in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
In this role you will
- Develop, test and implement improvements for existing and planned x-ray, nuclear, or optical diagnostics and implement techniques and sources for calibration measurements.
- Research, design, and execute experiments at the Z-machine, or appropriate laser facility, including but not limited to the Jupiter laser facility, those supported by LaserNetUS, the National Ignition Facility, or the Omega Laser Facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of new x-ray, nuclear, or optical diagnostics.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish pulsed power experiment research goals.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Coordinate with engineers, technicians and people from different groups to plan and execute experimental campaigns for the HED and/or ICF programs
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, nuclear or particle physics, hydrodynamics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, related field or discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics with laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, high energy density physics, radiation instrumentation, applied physics, plasma diagnostics, x-ray spectroscopy, or similar area.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Experience with electron optics and/or pulsed electronics
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulations
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.