Refine Search Clear All
Applied Statistics Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers. You will engage in cutting edge research, design, and deployment of statistical methods to solve important decision and detection problems stemming from the Laboratory's core mission spaces. We invite you to join us if you have expertise in one of the following desired areas: Bayesian modeling, uncertainty quantification, analysis and design of computer experiments, statistical learning, statistical methods for “Big Data” or general statistical consulting.
If you are interested in career development, this is the perfect opportunity for you. Time is also available for completing journal articles for submission, learning new methods or programming languages, and exploring the variety of research activities across the Lab. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: information retrieval and representation, cyber security, image and video analysis, design of computer experiments, climate modeling, energy analysis, computational biology, lasers, and optics.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Contribute to and actively participate with project scientists and engineers in the scope, planning, and formulating modeling/simulation efforts for physical, engineering, and computational systems in the areas of cyber security, biological and environmental threat detection, uncertainty quantification, and others.
- Develop, implement, validate, and document specialized analysis software tools and models as required.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals including industrial and academic partners.
- Organize, analyze and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Statistics or related field.
- Experience using programming skills in at least one prototyping language R/Matlab/Python, as well as one of C/C++/Java to enable high performance statistical computation.
- Experience developing and applying advanced statistical/machine learning models and algorithms for one or more of the following settings: classification, clustering, anomaly detection, density estimation, pattern recognition, knowledge discovery.
- Experience as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Experience developing independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability and desire to obtain substantial domain knowledge in fields of application and ability to communicate effectively with subject matter experts.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with algebraic statistics and statistical models for combinatorial/algebraic structures.
- Experience with human language technology, data mining, and self-supervised learning.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now