History

llnl

Cofounded by Ernest O. Lawrence and Edward Teller, the Laboratory began operations on Sept. 2, 1952, with Herbert York serving as the first director.

'New ideas' laboratory born out of the cold war

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) was established in 1952 at the height of the Cold War to meet urgent national security needs by advancing nuclear weapons science and technology.

Over its history, the Laboratory, through its talented and dedicated workforce and world-class research capabilities, has strengthened national security with a tradition of science and technological innovations — anticipating, developing, and delivering solutions for the nation’s most challenging problems.

For more than 65 years, LLNL has been making history and making a difference.