Defense Science and Technology Internship - Graduate Summer Student
Students | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None, but work must be performed by a U.S. person (e.g., U.S. citizen or permanent resident and certain others). Also, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of nuclear physics, radiation transport, hydrodynamics, astrophysics, plasma dynamics, numerical methods, and computer science. Research projects combine theory with computation and are geared to further the students' educational goals. These positions are within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Develop and/or employ high performance scientific software to complete novel research tasks.
- Work with mentors under limited supervision on your assigned project.
- Present an oral presentation of each project at the end of the summer.
- Present your work at a poster session.
- Work on projects of greater complexity and given more freedom and responsibility to come up with fundamental solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience applying advanced principles of physics, engineering and/or computer science to solve technical problems.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Academic achievement in engineering, scientific and/or technical curriculum.
- Experience working with computers and familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Qualifications We Desire
- Coding experience (e.g., Python, C++).
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
Application Deadline January 16, 2023
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.