Refine Search Clear All
Nanoporous Materials Synthesis - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 07/09/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to develop ultra-low-density (<20 mg/cm3) nanoporous metal aerogels and related materials. You will work with a diverse team to fabricate novel nanoporous materials with complex geometries and unique compositions for use in experimental platforms at national high-powered laser facilities. This position is in the Nanoscale Integration Science Group in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Synthesize nanoporous materials using wet chemistry and freeze-casting.
- Use an array of complementary techniques to characterize bulk and nanoporous material properties, e.g., SAXS, SEM, TEM, Porosimetry, X-ray CT, TGA, uniaxial compression.
- Design processes for fabricating materials to precise geometric and compositional specifications.
- Collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team to incorporate ultra-low-density components into complex experimental assemblies.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, or a related field.
- Experience fabricating nanomaterials or nanoporous materials.
- Experience in the characterization of nanomaterials or engineered functional materials.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Experience performing self-directed research, presenting talks at conferences and a record of publishing results in established scientific journals.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with a variety of synthetic chemistry techniques and characterization tools.
- Experience with advanced manufacturing techniques, CAD, and design of geometrically complex samples.
- Familiarity with the synthesis and handling of aerogels, especially ultra-low-density or non-silica aerogels.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.