Refine Search Clear All
Geomechanics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place. We have an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to perform original and independent research on coupled geomechanical modeling for enhanced geothermal system (EGS) applications. This position will be hired into the Computational Geosciences Group within the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
In this role you will:
Conduct research that applies coupled Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical-Chemical modeling to address subjects related to Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS) research and development. The subjects include in situ stress measurement, fracturing, reservoir stimulation, and numerical earthquake simulation and forecasting.
- Conduct original and independent research on geomechanics, fluid/heat flow in porous and fractured media, induced seismicity, and geophysics using high performance computing codes.
- Analyze and interpret data from geophysical monitoring, laboratory/field experiments, and physics-based simulations.
- Design, implement, and analyze simulation methods and algorithms on high performance computing platform.
- Publish technical reports and peer-reviewed publications summarizing research findings.
- Present results at review meetings and scientific conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Energy Systems Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geophysics, and/or Earth Sciences.
- Experience with numerical simulation code development.
- Research creativity, exceptional ability, and expert knowledge in the applicant’s area of specialization.
- Experience in the areas of geomechanics, seismology, multiphase flow, and/or geophysics.
- Experience with numerical methods, including discretization and solution techniques.
- Experience producing reports and publications.
- Experience developing software with C++, C, python, Java, R, Matlab or similar programming language, software applications in Linux, UNIX, Windows environments, data analysis algorithms, data management approaches, and/or machine learning algorithms.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment. Demonstrated record of first-authored publications and/or funded proposals
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with the phase field method or other numerical methods.
- Understanding of the geomechanical behavior of subsurface faults and reservoirs in geothermal or other subsurface energy applications, analyzing microseismic data and other field datasets, modeling subsurface fluid flow, and/or the underlying physical processes leading to induced seismicity.
- Experience with earthquake physics and nucleation, numerical earthquake simulation, statistical seismology, operational earthquake forecasting, probabilistic risk assessment methods, and/or uncertainty quantification techniques.
- Knowledge of geochemistry.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now