Refine Search Clear All
Director of the Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Director of the Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (CAMS). The Center develops and applies accelerator based ultra-trace isotopic abundance measurement and ion-beam analytical techniques for applications in a wide range of research areas and serving a variety of national security missions within WCI, GS and NIF. This position is in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Direct and manage a diverse organization that functions as an LLNL Institute, has multiple outside collaborators, a broad range of fee-for-service customers, and a multi-disciplinary in-house research program.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to build synergistic teams for the application of isotopic and ion beam analytical techniques with a broad range of environmental, biological and national security research applications.
- Lead the development and application of accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) for biomedical sciences and accelerator-based and ultra-trace isotope measurement technologies that enable Laboratory research missions.
- Recruit and mentor staff for effective contributions in a multi-disciplinary and multi-task research environment.
- Develop new programs through effective interaction with Laboratory programs and outside agencies and sponsors.
- Manage experimental facilities that include sample preparation laboratories and accelerator systems.
- Develop and maintain strategic plan for CAMS and respond to related Science & Technology (S&T) requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the SEL.5 level:
- Influence strategic technical decisions to anticipate the needs of external funding agencies and external customers.
- Mentor and coach scientific and technical staff across CAMS to assist in their professional growth and career development.
- Provide expert guidance, scientific and technical direction in CAMS research through development and application projects, including internally and externally funded activities.
- PhD in Experimental Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Chemistry, Geochemistry, or Applied Physical Sciences, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert knowledge and subject matter expertise within accelerator mass spectrometry and/or ion-beam analytical techniques applied to diverse experimental problems.
- Significant experience interacting with management, external collaborators and sponsors in a multi-disciplinary experimental research program.
- Significant experience in personnel and performance management, including recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and career development.
- Experience creating and managing collaborations across disciplines and organizational boundaries.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, and interpersonal skills, as well as problem-solving skills necessary to direct the center and lead cooperative strategic planning.
- Significant experience with project management and developing research proposals within a scientific program.
- Ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build complex teams to work toward institutional goals.
Additional Qualifications at the SEL.5 Level
- Expert knowledge in developing, sustaining and growing R&D and programmatic projects.
- Extensive experience guiding and providing strategic direction for projects to a diverse group of scientists, using proven expert-level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications we desire
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Laboratory science and security programs.
- Experience managing a multi-million dollar budget.
- Working knowledge and understanding of applicable DOE procedures and policies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now