Refine Search Clear All
Heavy Isotope AMS-Postdoctral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/14/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Heavy Isotope team at the Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry and play a significant role in developing new measurement capabilities in support of LLNL’s national security mission. This position is in the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division of the Physical and Life Science Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Develop and apply measurement capabilities for non-traditional AMS isotopes for nuclear forensic analysis and the determination of nuclear cross sections relevant to nuclear weapons research.
- Participate in all aspects of routine sample analysis runs within the heavy isotope group.
- Support the deployment of new hardware and measurement systems.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Ph.D. in nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, nuclear chemistry, radiochemistry, or a related field.
- Hands on experience operating and maintaining high voltage accelerators and related instrumentation (e.g., ion sources).
- Experience with the design and operation of charged particle detection systems.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to complex scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now