Refine Search Clear All
Advanced Materials Development - Program Leader- Active Clearance Required
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Program Leader to work with Physical Life Sciences (PLS), Engineering, and Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) leadership to coordinate and guide LLNL’s involvement in materials and manufacturing modernization by facilitating the execution of LLNL programs involving multiple material streams. You will work with programmatic and line management to nurture LLNL’s advanced materials and manufacturing capabilities relevant to NNSA’s Office of Engineering and Technology Maturation NA115, and build/strengthen connections and collaborations with production agencies and design agencies. This position is in the Materials Science Division and will report to the Associate Program Director for Materials, Manufacturing and Diagnostics.
In this role you will
- Track execution of NA115 funded technical work in advanced materials and manufacturing.
- With Weapons Technology Engineering (WTE)/WCI program leadership, communicate progress in technical work with stakeholders.
- Serve as representative for LLNL interests in Advanced Materials and Manufacturing methods, qualification, and maturation in collaboration with WTE/WCI program leadership.
- Provide scientific leadership in manufacturing science and technology for materials of interest to NA115.
- Work with WTE/WCI program and discipline leadership to align and strengthen capabilities to ensure strong support of programs and deliverables.
- Develop strategic growth opportunities in NA115 AMD research and development portfolio.
- Create and sustain a collaborative culture to enable effective with partnerships at relevant design and production agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, Metallurgical Sciences, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience and externally recognized Subject Matter Expert in the repeatable creation or manufacturing of two or more of the following material classes to engineering or physics requirements for defense programs: ceramic, polymer, and/or metallic materials.
- Expert level experience balancing complex, overlapping, and competing priorities.
- Significant experience in planning, budgeting, and executing large, multisite R&D efforts.
- Significant experience creating and sustaining collaborations with NSE Production Plants and other distributed partners.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas, as well as to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers, and leadership at multiple levels.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.