Refine Search Clear All
Machinists / Senior Machinists
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/16/2022
Job Code: 981.2 Senior Machinist I / 981.3 Senior Machinist II
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have several openings for Machinists / Sr. Machinists including Research and Development (R&D) Machinists, Prototype Machinists and Precision Machinists. You will provide journeyman skill level manufacturing support to fabricate parts, components, and assemblies to customer requirements. You will have close technical interactions with engineering support and facility personnel. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In these roles you will get to work with a phenomenally talented team while utilizing cutting edge technology. Our projects at the laboratory help ensure and enhance security of the United States. In addition to a collaborative culture, we offer challenging and rewarding work all while helping our employees maintain a great work/life balance!
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Set up and operate all conventional and most precision and CNC machine tools to manufacture parts and assemblies.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Perform shop math calculations utilizing intermediate knowledge of material characteristics to achieve required finishes, dimensions, and overall design intent.
- Design and fabricate fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 981.3 level
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities.
- Solve complex technical problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High school diploma plus four or more years of directly related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to perform machining operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, also related manufacturing, and measuring equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgment and creativity.
- Intermediate level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, and planning.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices. Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
- Ability to work overtime, various shifts and or weekends to accomplish goals.
Additional qualifications at the 981.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced level knowledge of CNC programming, machining, and planning.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in one of the following areas - 5-Axis mill, slant bed lathe with live tooling, precision diamond turning.
- Familiarity with using CAD/CAM systems (Mastercam preferred).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now