Refine Search Clear All
Distribution Grid Engineer - Analysis and Controls Lead
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/11/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced Engineer. You will lead system research on electronic power grid infrastructure analysis with a focus on restoration and resilience and participate in business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program in the Global Security (GS) Principal Associate Directorate. You will participate in collaborations with and travel to DOE headquarters and institutions such as national labs, utilities, and vendors in support of CIR’s growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure for the Department of Energy (DOE)’s Grid Modernization Initiative. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other LLNL scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Work closely with other CIR program area leads in developing the CIR program research roadmap.
- Develop internal and external collaborations and provide input for securing funding sources to meet program goals and objectives.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation and operations, distribution planning, modeling and simulation, data analytics, microgrid design and operation.
- Advanced record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling analysis and visualization of control theory for distributed grid components.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Highly advanced experience leading the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, control theory and operations, distribution optimization planning, modeling and simulation, microgrid design and operation.
- Subject matter expert knowledge and significant experience as a project manager or principal investigator of projects with differing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high visibility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working with utilities, Department of Energy (DOE), and other relevant state government agencies.
- Expertise in network model and control theory development for electrical distribution system and components.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.