Refine Search Clear All
Target Fabrication Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/04/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Target Fabrication Engineers to become core members of an interdisciplinary team working on fabrication of complex articles called targets in support of the Inertial Fusion Confinement and other national security programs for the National Ignition Facility (NIF). Targets are comprised of the essential elements of experiments on these high energy laser systems and are often intricate assemblies of numerous finely manufactured components with precision tolerances ranging from one (1) micrometer to 25 nm. Consequently, they raise many interesting challenges whose resolution requires a combination of materials & mechanical engineering and metrology science with a strong sense of practical implementation of advanced new processes. You will become the spearhead for a set of targets, using project management tools to drive the entire process to bring them to fruition from initial concept. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work with programmatic scientists to generate specifications and drawings of centimeter-sized targets that are used in NIF laser experiments.
- Perform moderately complex to complex engineering calculations and hands-on work to support the design, fabrication, and metrology operations on unique precision components and assemblies.
- Use project management tools to keep multiple target designs on schedule from concept, through assembly, to delivery of the final product.
- Provide guidance, acting as a main scientific/technical point of contact on the projects and participate in formal and informal Engineering design reviews.
- Design, build, and execute moderately complex to complex laboratory experiments for measuring form and finish errors on components and analyze and interpret metrology data and methodology independently, under limited direction.
- Participate as a team member with other engineers, advanced machinists and technicians and collaborate with senior engineers within the group to learn best-practices and to become familiar with LLNL and vendor capabilities in fabrication and metrology.
- Regularly update project engineers on progress toward completion of tasks and update them on risks to quality and schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Produce advanced conceptual and detail designs in support of on-going projects and perform analysis to determine the most efficient, expeditious, and cost-effective methods to source and/or fabricate complex technical equipment, components, and assemblies.
- Work independently as an interface to the experiment and laser alignment groups to ensure adequate features are designed, measured, and documented for each target design that are complex in nature.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technicians, vendors, outside suppliers, and mid-level management to develop innovative components and systems using advanced design and manufacturing techniques.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s in Mechanical Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge in moderately complex to complex fabrication, manufacturing, machine tools, coordinate metrology, or tomography tools.
- Broad experience applying engineering principles and/or metrology techniques in a production environment for quality and production control.
- Proficiency and broad experience writing inspection reports on manufactured components with the ability to determine limitations in resolution and accuracy in manufacturing, independently, under limited direction.
- Experience with project management processes and working to stringent timelines.
- Interpersonal, organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented, works well in a fast-paced environment, and has a strong sense of urgency and drive to succeed.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge in and significant experience with complex mechanical design and analysis including the ability to develop and implement creative solutions to unique and complex problems independently, under minimal direction.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule, including the ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
- Significant experience interacting and cooperating with all levels of technical staff, managers, and vendors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in an Engineering discipline or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in precision engineering design and manufacturing.
- Knowledge of ANSI/ASME standards for testing of machine tools or coordinate measuring machines.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.