Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist - NIF Diagnostics Assembly
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/21/2022
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is seeking multiple talented and self‐motivated Mechanical Technologists to perform moderately complex precision assembly, disassembly, testing, alignment, and troubleshooting of diagnostic hardware that support critical NIF experiments. You will also record data, identify process improvements and will work with hazardous materials in a radioactive environment. In addition, you will collaborate with scientists, technicians, designers and engineers.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. These positions may require you to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. These positions may also require working alternate schedules such as four 10 or 12-hour shifts per week. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Provide general mechanical support for the assembly, installation, operation, repair, and maintenance of NIF mechanical systems in accordance using approved and well understood procedures.
- Read and interpret drawings, assemble moderately complex precision components according to prints/drawings primarily involving small and large parts assembly as well as performing precision alignments, quality assurance inspections, and involved documentation.
- Secondary responsibilities include hoisting and rigging large loads, troubleshooting both mechanical and electrical assemblies, and working on/around X-ray sources; this includes operation and maintenance on vacuum and x-ray systems.
- Perform material handling of large equipment including rigging and using cranes.
- Record data and present to others for analysis.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- Safely handle radiologically contaminated components. Work may require the ability to use respirators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Fundamental knowledge and intermediate skills with electro-mechanical technology including general assembly, installation, operation, repair, maintenance, and gathering data for analysis.
- Familiarity with clean room and cleanliness procedures.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment, using well understood methods, while working under general supervision.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift equipment, or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to certify to handle radiological components and wear a respirator.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with precision mechanical assembly, alignment, and testing.
- Experience using complex computer control and data acquisition systems utilized in the remote control of opto‐mechanical devices.
- Experience working within a nuclear, military, or highly technical laboratory environment .
- Ability to work on moderately complex systems including optical, electrical, and mechanical.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.