Refine Search Clear All
Security Protection Program Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/16/2022
Job Code: TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Security Protection Program Manager to provide technical leadership, oversight, and direction to security protection program and risk management across all security topical areas and functions including Physical Security, Information Security, Personnel Security, Nuclear Material Control and Accountability, Protective Force, Security Planning and Analysis, and Performance Assurance. The position will ensure the efficient and effective fulfillment of security requirements and delivery of support services which are critical to supporting successful execution of Laboratory mission. You will interact with a diverse group of personnel and multiple levels of management and staff within the Security Organization, LLNL research programs, support organizations, and DOE/NNSA. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Consolidate and lead protection program planning and analysis for all security activities supporting LLNL operations; champion the security risk management process across the Security Organization.
- Implement metrics and strategic approaches for data collection, analysis, and quality management to ensure compliance and improve program efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop and implement initiatives that broaden worker’s knowledge, skills and abilities to increase flexibility of assignments while identifying the key technical positions needed to ensure long-term success.
- Apply advanced technical management processes to establish lifecycle management for critical physical security systems and nuclear material measurement equipment.
- Provide in-depth guidance to staff to identify and evaluate industry standards and best-in-class processes and procedures to improve overall efficiency in delivering Security support to the Laboratory.
- Work across functions to build fully integrated teams and work processes and be responsible for end-to-end process maps and procedures.
- Plan large efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines. Develop project plans including task estimation.
- Work closely with topical area managers, group leaders, programmatic project leads, and other key stakeholders to identify areas of opportunity for improvement or correction; and use these opportunities to establish projects to realize improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide direct oversight of the Nuclear Material Control and Accountability program and ensure integration with Security program planning and assurance activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor degree or higher in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience using independent judgment to strategically manage an organization with one or more technical areas; establishing and achieving organizational objectives; meeting customer/sponsor requirements; interpreting policies; and delegating, directing and monitoring the work of others.
- Highly advanced knowledge and significant experience spanning security risk management and protection program planning and one or more specialized technical fields relevant to nuclear material control and accountability, analyzing radiological, chemical, biological sabotage threats and/or ballistic, mechanical, and explosive attacks.
- Expert communication, collaboration, facilitation and problem-solving skills necessary to direct and build cooperative multi-disciplinary teams, present and explain technical or operational information, and provide advice to senior management, regulators, and stakeholders.
- Expert ability to anticipate problems in work assignment areas, review associated risks, identify appropriate solutions, determine functional area needs, and direct workflow.
- Significant experience with project planning, detailed budgeting and workforce planning, and identifying strategic goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and collaborate with others in a consistently positive manner, exercise discretion and tact, and gain consensus in an environment where others may have strongly conflicting ideas and goals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Expert knowledge of relevant DOE Directives, Orders, and Prime Contract requirements flow down.
- Experience leading programs in a research laboratory environment.
- Proven success managing projects across organizations with no formal authority.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.