Refine Search Clear All
Colloid Science/Microencapsulation Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for an engineer with experience in surface chemistry, interfacial science, micro/nano-fabrication, microencapsulation of fluids and/or microfluidics. You will study the use of surfactants for interface stability. You will utilize existing methods and develop new microencapsulation methods for various applications. You will characterize the rheological and interfacial properties of single and multiphase fluid systems. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: nanoparticle synthesis, microencapsulation, microfluidic device design and operation, process scale up and optimization.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties at the SES.3 level
- Independently resolve technical objectives and criteria to satisfy project objectives and execute the appropriate technical approaches.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide the successful completion of project and organizational goals and serve as the primary technical contact on tasks and projects.
- Collaborate with technical area leaders, project leaders, and program management to represent technical capabilities and project results to internal management and external sponsors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience with one or more of the following areas: Colloidal & interface science, microfluidics, polymer chemistry, nanomaterials, surface science, mechanics of materials & characterization, micro/nano-fabrication processes, additive manufacturing/3D printing.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to display initiative and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience using standard project management practices and proven ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Experience leading project teams, exhibiting a proficiency in interpersonal interactions and the ability to solve problems as they arise.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science or related field.
- Experience with liquid metals.
- Experience with polymer resin formulation.
- Experience with designing, fabricating, and testing microfluidic devices.
- Experience with LabVIEW, MATLAB, and/or python.
- Experience with analytic and computational modeling and simulation.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now