Refine Search Clear All
Superconducting Quantum Device Fabrication - Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of superconducting quantum information and sensing. You will apply expertise in design, fabrication, and characterization of superconducting quantum information systems in support of the LLNL Quantum Design and Integration Testbed (QuDIT) facility. The ideal candidate will have experience in design and fabrication of radio frequency and/or millimeter-wave superconducting circuits. Successful applicants will be exploring the material challenges in present day quantum computing and sensing devices and advancing the current state of the art in physically realizable superconducting circuits. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role you will:
- Design and fabricate quantum coherent superconducting hardware.
- Perform independent research focused on understanding and mitigating materials and fabrication challenges in quantum computing and sensing.
- Advance the current state of the art in physically realizable superconducting circuitry.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in experimental physics, electrical engineering, material science, or a related field.
- Experience fabricating devices out of superconducting and dielectric materials including experience with photo and e-beam lithography as well as a variety of deposition techniques like sputtering, e-beam, and CVD.
- Deep understanding of the material challenges unique to circuit-QED devices such as quasi-particle trapping and transport, dielectric loss, thermal transport, and TLS.
- Experience with various material characterization techniques such as ellipsometry, XRD, EDS, AFM, SEM, PPMS, etc.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with fabrication and materials characterization of Josephson junctions.
- Advanced fabrication techniques such as bump bonding, flip chip technologies, through silicon vias, and/or air bridge techniques
- Experience in design and simulation of radio-frequency and /or millimeter-wave devices and chips using HFSS or similar software.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now