Refine Search Clear All
Materials Formulation Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Materials Formulation Engineer to perform research, development, and application activities in support of Laboratory missions. You will support R&D activities in Materials Processing for Advanced Polymers and Composites. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work under general direction to research and contribute to the development of materials processing technology that support advanced mechanical, thermal, electrical, and/or optical systems for various applications.
- Conduct formulation experiments to develop, produce, and scale up advanced polymeric materials, including but not limited to silicone rubbers, rigid thermoset resins, and thermoplastics.
- Process and analyze data collected from organic fluids, rubbers, foams, plastics, and composites using a variety of characterization techniques such as rheometry, dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), and dynamic scanning calorimetry (DSC).
- Perform structural characterization, utilizing methods such as X-ray diffraction (XRD), vibrational spectroscopy (FTIR, Raman), electron microscopies (SEM, TEM), optical microscopy, and density measurements.
- Set up, maintain, calibrate, and troubleshoot experimental laboratory equipment, coordinate usage of instruments in a multi-user environment, and interface with vendors and service engineers.
- Participate in and support development of methods for advanced mechanical and thermo-mechanical assessments of materials.
- Maintain production schedule and resolve scheduling conflicts by communicating and collaborating with the team of engineers and scientists.
- Develop appropriate documentation of findings and implemented solutions. May be required to make brief technical presentations that capture and communicate research results.
- Contribute to project/program milestone completion and provide solutions to problems of limited complexity using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Document development activities, write reports, and deliver design reviews and project briefings.
- Under limited direction, define and prioritize moderately complex to complex tasks and goals to ensure project needs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex to complex problems that require analysis and creative use of broadly defined techniques and methods.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Practical knowledge of material properties and various polymer engineering, processing, and manufacturing methods.
- Fundamental understanding of engineering concepts, principles, and theory and experience demonstrating the application of those concepts while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to understand new concepts quickly, apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment, and organize work assignments to meet established timetables.
- Excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience performing independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and concepts and ability to demonstrate full competency.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience with the operation and maintenance of load-frame mechanical testing equipment (e.g., Instron).
- Experience working with micro- and nano-structured fillers in plastics and composites.
- Experience with additive manufacturing techniques (e.g., direct ink-write 3D printing).
- Experience in process development based on design of experiments.
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now