Refine Search Clear All
NIF&PS- Mechanical Technologist/Sr Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Technologists/Sr. Mechanical Technologists. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF&PS). These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex but extremely precise mechanical components and systems.
- Operate related equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Provide general technical support for a wide variety of activities, including vacuum, electrical, and plumbing/cooling installations.
- Perform routine assembly and maintenance of moderately complex equipment.
- Prepare and work from instructional guides for assembling, repairing, calibrating, operating and maintaining equipment and systems, working under general supervision.
- Test, diagnose, maintain and repair moderately complex pressure systems, instrumentation, control, and test equipment.
- Apply fundamental knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of moderately complex mechanical problems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems; including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Perform precision assembly of complex mechanical components utilizing advanced skills.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions, under minimal supervision.
- Independently identify, analyze, and evaluate, and report results of complex mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing or related field, or the equivalent the combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience and fundamental knowledge in mechanical fabricating and/or assembly.
- Fundamental knowledge of moderately complex electro-mechanical technology.
- Experience working with pressurized systems and leak testing equipment.
- Experience in mechanical design, fabrication, and opto-mechanical mechanisms including the ability to work under general supervision using well understood methods.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced understanding of mechanical technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Significant experience working independently on complex technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in 3D CAD, machining, mechanical assembly and electrical troubleshooting.
- Experience in the operation of precision systems/ mechanisms.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.