Smart Compiler Technology Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 04/07/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform research related to the GPU offloading software stack used in High Performance Computing (HPC). You will work collaboratively with LLNL researchers and develop new methodologies to execute, optimize, and interact with scientific applications targeting state-of-the-art heterogeneous many-core HPC systems. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Research, design and implement compiler-based tooling with the goal to improve GPU offloading performance, productivity, and portability.
- Research, design and develop mechanisms to identify and eliminate development, maintenance, and performance issues in application codes or in HPC programming models and runtime libraries.
- Research, design and implement scalable solutions to accumulate and distribute knowledge related to HPC computing, GPU offloading, and scientific application deployment.
- Provide support to allow HPC codes to effectively use the developed tools and techniques.
- Explore novel schemes to achieve automation in the above areas, e.g., via tooling and ML.
- Document research by publishing papers in peer-reviewed media and presenting papers within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Contribute to group grant proposals, including proposal presentations and preparation of proposals that will provide future research opportunities in the field, and participate in the establishment of future research directions.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- Experience with parallel computing environments.
- Experience developing scientific applications in C/C++ in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with interdisciplinary audiences in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated research productivity, as evidenced by authoring technical reports, peer reviewed publications, and delivering scientific presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to independently define, execute, and evaluate new research concepts related to compiler optimizations or HPC programming models such as OpenMP or RAJA
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in compiler or programming model runtime development, preferably in the LLVM/OpenMP compilation/runtime framework.
- Experience in parallel programming, preferably in widely used parallel programing models, such as OpenMP, CUDA, HIP and/or MPI.
- Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms, libraries and frameworks.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.