Refine Search Clear All
Citrix/VMware Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/24/2022
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Citrix/VMware Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical computer and infrastructure support for systems in this heterogeneous environment. You will work in a safety conscious, challenging, rapidly changing, and team-oriented environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division, matrixed to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Infrastructure Support team within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work primarily at the main Livermore facility supporting and building infrastructure in a fast paced and heterogeneous environment while monitoring both Corporate and Isolated Network and Core Infrastructure Services, such as, Exchange, Load Balancers, Active Directory, Group Policy, Storage Systems, Backups, VMware, Virtual Servers, DNS, DHCP, Citrix.
- Design, implement, and support the current version of Citrix XennApp/XenDesktop, application publishing, and pool management, as well as VMware Horizon Instant Clones, App Volumes, Thin Clients, current version of vSphere versions, VDI,Virtual GPU clustering, Fiber Channel Storage, and VSAN.
- Provide expertise for the complex installations, configurations, and hardware and/or software upgrades using independent judgment to resolve complex systems and network-related problems.
- Evaluate and recommend procurements of Windows or Appliance based hardware and software in collaboration with management, customers, and team members.
- Independently resolve problems, requiring advanced knowledge of one or more platforms (e.g., Windows, Exchange, VMware, Active Directory, Citrix, Storage.)
- Define and maintain support documentation and procedures.
- Be a team player, maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety knowledge, and support and represent the Infrastructure Support team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve highly complex system and network-related problems, including driving problem resolution, working with vendors, and managing cases as required.
- Serve as a technical leader and an internal and external consultant, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the user community and collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment.
- Function as a technology advocate, ensuring the most appropriate solutions are employed and maintained.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical experience with Windows and/or Linux operating systems and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Extensive experience with Exchange, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Computer Security and/or Networking Protocols.
- Ability to independently set priorities and resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience exercising effective customer support skills in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills, with ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
Additional Qualifications at the 393.2 Level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and substantial experience with Windows, and/or Linux operating systems, and/or Virtual environments and related hardware.
- Substantial experience mentoring employees in technical skills.
- Substantial experience serving as a technical team lead on projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure on time and on budget.
Qualifications We Desire
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with enterprise support tools for management, patching, or software distribution, computer network hardware, software, protocols, and principles, Windows computer security concepts and practices, computer network hardware/software, protocols and principles, and Windows operating systems.
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP, RedHat) or a professional network certification (e.g., CCNA).
- Experience directing complex troubleshooting.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.