Refine Search Clear All
Cybersecurity Reverse Engineer - Senior
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Senior Cybersecurity Reverse Engineers to lead efforts to analyze malware and identify vulnerabilities to software supporting critical infrastructure systems and Federal networks. You will help to shape research and development efforts to secure software and firmware used in systems critical to our national security, including industrial control systems, in partnership with the Federal government, manufacturers, and asset owners and operators. You will also lead software analysis projects to better understand supply chain threats to critical systems and networks. These positions are programmatically in Global Security’s Energy and Homeland Security (E) Program and administratively in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Lead and support a diverse range of highly complex research projects requiring creative use of innovative methods for development and implementation of new, automated software analysis methods.
- Develop requirements for existing software assurance and reverse engineering capabilities at LLNL.
- Analyze novel software, firmware, and malware, and develop repeatable workflows applying those tools to support future analyses, appling existing software assurance and reverse engineering tools.
- Analyze source code and binaries to identify weaknesses or malicious functionality in software and firmware.
- Develop new tools for source code and binary analysis, as well as vulnerability assessment, for devices residing in United States critical networks and infrastructure.
- Develop tools and techniques to better understand and mitigate threats to operational technology such as industrial control system malware.
- Identify new applications and opportunities for and help create vision and technical direction for software assurance capabilities for critical networks and infrastructure cybersecurity working with LLNL’s program leadership.
- Develop new program growth opportunities through interactions with existing and potential sponsors and the development of research proposals.
- Develop, drive, and execute new ideas and approaches to meet the sponsor and project needs.
- Mentor others and utilize technical expertise to attract and retain projects, programs and funding.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Guide and provide scientific and technical direction for a portfolio of highly complex technical tasks and projects that consistently require the application of creativity and innovation; set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for Laboratory, self and/or others wielding extensive influence with senior management and policy makers.
- Provide highly innovative solutions to abstract complex problems/ideas, convert them into useable algorithms/software modules, and provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Lead strategic planning initiatives, direct and accomplish project/program goals and objectives significantly impacting major Laboratory programs, set high-level goals, and contribute to the revolutionary advancement of knowledge.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- A Bachelor's degree with significant focus in cybersecurity, computer science, information technology, computer engineering, or related field, plus experience in the areas listed below or a Master’s degree in reverse engineering plus experience in the areas listed below.
- Significant experience leading program analysis of source code, binaries, and firmware.
- Experience in the use of hardware or software debuggers, static disassemblers and decompilers (such as IDA Pro), common binary file formats, dynamic analysis tools, software bills of materials, and/or network analysis tools.
- Significant experience communicating technical information across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts, advising senior management, and applying interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Experience mitigating anti-reverse engineering techniques.
- Advanced knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies in software assurance.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, along with the demonstrated ability to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to effectively change focus when necessary.
- Advanced ability to communicate comprehensive knowledge effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors, and proficient interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Extensive experience and ability to plan the integration and implementation of new programs and/or operational best practices.
- Extensive project leadership experience and ability to apply, lead and develop cutting-edge principles and research, working independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Substantial experience creating technical direction and vision, writing research proposals, and securing sponsor funding.
- Extensive experience in and knowledge of at least one of the following subject areas:
- Instruction set architectures, such as ARM, x86/x64, PowerPC, and/or MIPS;
- Reverse engineering intermediate languages such as .NET or Java bytecode;
- Firmware analysis and extraction; or
- Operational technology implementation.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree with significant focus in cybersecurity, computer science, information technology, computer engineering, or a related field.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following computer science disciplines: embedded systems, scientific data analysis, machine learning, systems programming, software engineering, formal verification methods, and high performance computing.
- Experience with industrial control systems software and hardware.
- Ability to secure sponsor funding through winning proposals and sponsor relationships. Previous experience working Department of Energy, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense, a utility, manufacturing, or hardware/software company, or a cybersecurity firm.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.