Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electronics Technologist to provide general technical support, construction, installation, maintenance, removal, and repair of telecommunication infrastructure, cable and related equipment in facilities, underground throughout the Laboratory, including Site 300. You will interact with co- workers, supervisor, technical support personnel, building coordinators, and project managers. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computation Directorate and supports the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either the 531.2 or 531.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Place, splice, terminate, and test fiber optic and copper cable in the outside Plant, perform working service cable, and line transfers.
- Build copper and/or fiber optics cross-connects for the main distribution frame and building distribution frame.
- Resolve trouble tickets and repair services for fixed voice, VoIP, and special circuits such as copper circuits in the field.
- Pre-field, evaluate and recommend appropriate course of action to provision Telecommunication Services.
- Collaborate with customer service representatives and service order control personnel on moderately complex issues involving assigned customer service orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 531.3 Level
- Solve complex technical problems and repair services for copper cable and fiber optic cabling.
- Independently evaluate and pre-field complex problems and make recommendations for appropriate courses of action to provision Telecommunication Services.
- Establish and modify work procedures, guidelines and/or techniques used for installation, troubleshooting and/or safety issues
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in electronics, computer maintenance, or electro-optic technology or a technology related certificate or diploma with work related work experience and work related course work or the equivalent combination of education and experience in a field of outside plant telecommunication infrastructure.
- General knowledge of telecommunications, including fiber optic and copper cable Systems, Voice and Data terminal equipment, Building Wire and Jacks.
- Basic knowledge of the skills necessary to operate basic telecommunication systems test equipment.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of relevant technologies and processes, including general telecommunications background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics or electro-optic theory to solve circuitry or system malfunctions.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and customers.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely, including climbing ladders, working in confined spaces, and lifting 50 lbs.
- Current California driver’s license required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Qualifications at the 531.3 Level
- High-level technical skills and understanding of telecommunications, including Fiber Optic and associated terminating Copper Cable Systems, Voice and Data terminal equipment, Building Wire and equipment.
- Significant experience with Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR) and Power Meters.
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively, handling multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously in a dynamic operations environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.